Thursday, April 10, 2008

Socks Are What Happen When You're Busy Making Other Plans


So I looked away from the tv the other day only to realize that I was doing the Kitchener Stitch on the toe of a second sock! I've been so distracted by the sewing that I didn't even realize how fast I was making my way through these. They are Slippery Socks (ravelry link) and you'll have to trust me that the slipped stitch cables show up a lot better in person than I could make them show up with my camera. Unless you see me in person when I'm wearing them, and then I can prove it.

I made a couple of adjustments to the pattern:
a) started out on a larger needle size to make sure it wouldn't be too tight on my calves.
b) changed the side cables a bit so they have the same repeat size as the front/back cables and realigned them so that the fat part of the side cable lines up with the narrow part of the front/back. I couldn't get a satisfactory pic of this, so you'll have to just trust me that it worked and looks cool.
c) used a 3-stitch garter stitch border on either side of the heel flap, since in my experience, this makes a tidier gusset without the gaping holes I always get when I just do the slipped stitches, as she has it written.


I used Red Corset Osmosis sock yarn in Cafe Mocha, and I really like it. The twist is a little loose, but I didn't really have any problems with splittiness or anything, and it is very soft and comfy. The colours are great and there is enough variegation to keep things interesting, but it is still semi-solid so you don't get crazy pooling or anything. I got the yarn from Pick Up Sticks, who have it in their closeouts right now. Last time I checked, it was half-price. I would buy it all up myself, but I have other yarn already winging its way to me through Canada Post, so I am trying to show restraint. But hey, my birthday is coming up...

No comments: