Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hear the Lonesome Whippoorwill


We went to see Cowboy Junkies play tonight, downtown at the McDougall church. They're celebrating the twentieth anniversary of Trinity Sessions, which means playing the whole album start to finish (plus a few more recent songs for encores.) The Trinity Sessions album was one of my favourites throughout my formative years. I listened to it endlessly -- I feel like it's really a part of me -- and I distinctly remember sending it to more than one overseas friend, as an example of the phenomenal music Canadian musicians create.

My HLM got me the Trinity Revisited DVD/CD a while ago, which is amazing -- if you haven't seen it, you really should. Seeing them play live, however, was transcendent. They play masterfully, with such passion, and her voice is indescribably perfect, especially with the powerful acoustics in the church. I only got one blurry photo of Margo, which you see above, the stained-glass windows reflected in the glass behind her -- I wish you all could have been there with us.

No comments: