Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Distraction

I have been knitting, and quite a lot, actually, but I really don't have much to show for it: mostly what I've been doing is knitting up the sleeves on a new yoke sweater I started, and they don't look like much, yet, being as they are solid black stockingette. I've nearly finished the first of my Pomegranate socks, and yes, I ripped out the whole lace mobius wrap (sigh) and I started the first (and probably only) knitted holiday gift I am making.

But let's look at something else today, shall we? I found the Family Trunk Project a year or two ago, but I don't think I've ever shared it with all of you.

Emily Johnson is designing a series of garments inspired by the folks in her family tree. Look here to see them. There is also a series inspired by literary characters. Look here to see all of her designs. They are really gorgeous patterns by a great fiber artist, and you can buy them if you like, but the really lovely part about it is that you can pay for the patterns either with money (how old-fashioned) or by telling her a piece of your family history. Different designs will cost you a different number of pages of your family's story, usually between 2 to 4 pages. What a great concept!

No comments: