Thursday, December 31, 2009

Raven Swirl Socks


This pair has enchanted me from the moment I first saw them: from the colourway to the pattern, I really enjoyed them from start to finish.

The colourway is nice and dark -- I have it in some really good lighting to get these shots. It is so saturated, in fact, that I had dye marks on my hands from knitting with it. These socks will be getting a nice long soak before I wear them, I think. This colourway is called Blackbird, so that beautiful song by The Beatles has been in my head for weeks, and it has certainly flavoured the way I look at the socks.


The pattern is by Cookie A, so you knew right away it was going to be spectacular. There is a lovely feather-like lace that swoops around the leg before running down either side of the foot (and back through the heel, though you can't see it in these photos.) My only quibble with the pattern is that the placing of the heel flap is such that I was only able to make a very short swirl along the leg, since my foot was the larger size. I didn't have a lot of yarn left over, though, so I suppose a longer leg wasn't in the cards, anyway.

So there you have it: my last finished object of 2009, but there are plenty more on the way for next year. I hope you have just the sort of celebration you enjoy, tonight. Me? I'll be cozy under a blanket with some varied knitting and a marathon of Guy Ritchie movies. A great start to a new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just now getting around to knitting the Raven Swirl Socks, and I have a question... Did the traveling lace panels actually move around on your needles, like the Rogue Roses panes did, or did they just continue straight down the leg as you knit, then twist when you got to the heel? I just don't want to get too much further and realize that I missed some hidden piece of info somewhere (I've read the directions 6 times, so I don't really think this is it).

Thank you in advance for your insight.