Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dragon Claw Fingerless Gloves


One of my very bestest good friends is in China right now, studying Kung Fu at the Wudang Temple. One of the techniques she is studying is called Dragon Claw, which I'm sure is as badass as it sounds.

When I blogged about my Tooth and Claw socks, she admired them and thought that maybe someday she would make herself a pair. When I read that, I knew that what she really needed were fingerless gloves, for some real dragon claws.


I initially imagined them in a bright red, since red is an auspicious colour in China. When I came upon this shade of green from Madelinetosh, however, I forgot all about the red. Not only is it one of her favourite colours, it is also called "Jade" which seemed perfect for bringing her luck in her studies. The shades in this yarn do not disappoint. As has been my experience with tosh sock, the yarn is lovely and soft and strong and the colours have such depth and life to them. Exquisite.

The gloves knitted up quickly, and I finished them a month or so ago -- I've been keeping them pretty quiet until the package finally reached her, halfway around the world. Now that she has them, I can brag about how great they are.


I unvented a ribbing pattern to match up with the main stitch pattern for the gloves, and kept the ventral side of the glove pure stockingette. They are a bit snug on my arm, since she is much slimmer than I am, but they still fit so comfortably that I would wear them, and joyfully. I used a larger needle for the ribbing and one repeat of the stitch pattern at the wrist end, and knit them plenty long for the arm.

Also great: they actually used less than half of the skein of yarn, so I could even make another pair, or use it for something else. Awesome.

Finally, a photo of the badass girl herself, sporting her new Dragon Claw gloves in China -- yeah, she could totally kick your ass.

2 comments:

Brandi Beckett said...

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toniese said...

Both ya'll Rule!!!