For the fourth towel, I changed to a different set of weft colours. This one had less contrast again, with a blue and black weft. What a change in tone from the previous three towels! All the colours are still there, but much more muted.
Then I brought in the brightest colour of them all, the light green, and made the fifth towel with all the contrast, in black and green.
Then I did the last one in green and blue, a little less contrast and tonally more similar.
But wait! I finished the sixth and final towel only to realize I had tons of warp left on the loom. When I initially planned out the pattern, I thought the magazine allowed for an unnecessarily long warp, and upon getting to this point in the weaving, I realized that I easily had room for another towel. My first thought was to use the last of each colour to do a really variegated stripey weft, but I was sort of done with swapping shuttles and winding bobbins. I couldn't bear to waste such a pretty warp, though, all ready to go. I decided I'd use some spare 10/2 cotton I had, in white, without any stripes at all. This made something completely different and a bit unexpected and I really really like it. The colours are softened a bit, and the blocks look like changing transparencies of glass over the stripes of colours.
I don't know if it's just because of the change in the weather, but I got a real case of startitis this week, and began a second pair of socks for gifting, an out-of-the-blue artsy knitting concept, and I really have my eye on a new slouchy hat for fall... maybe some fingerless mitts... not to mention this baby from the new BrooklynTweed collection.
But before I get to any of that, I should catch you up on my weaving. I did get the skully napkins off the loom (seemed like they took forever) but I haven't gotten to hemming and finishing them yet. Instead, I got really distracted with these babies, a set of dishtowels using a bit of colour and an irregular twill weave to add interest.
There are six colours in the warp, and I chose two of those for the weft of each towel.
The first towel had a red and pink weft. The two colours didn't have much contrast, but it still looks quite nice:
Then came a towel with an orange and red weft:
Then one with a pink and orange weft. It looks quite similar to the last one, again since there isn't much difference between the red and pink, but there is still a different tone to it:
That last shot shows the design most clearly, since it's nice and close. There are warp stripes in six colours, weft stripes in two, and the overall pattern is an alternating 3:1 and 1:3 twill. The places where the twill changes is offset from the colour stripe changes, which makes the whole thing much more interesting and gives more colours to the eye. I can't wait to see how much better they all look, once they're washed and ironed.
Next time I'll show you the other weft combinations!
It's hard to follow up on those fluorescent green socks, but I had a couple more balls of the bright sock yarn from Knit Picks, and decided to knit it up, too. These ones were blue and orange, which is another crazy colour combination (unless you're an Oilers fan.) I decided to mix things up a bit with the stripes, and went from one row of orange to two rows to three rows and back again, keeping six rows of blue between. It doesn't look as dramatic as I thought it might - perhaps varying the blue stripes would help, as well. No worries, they are still cozy and fun socks, and my sock drawer is starting to look pretty wild!
I've actually been working on so many projects lately that I don't even know where to begin.
I finished my third Camp Loopy project on time, last month - this one was a lovely garter stitch wrap called Edge (Ravelry), which uses short rows to make little wedges of colour. I used the Loopy Ewe's solid series yarn, incorporating a couple of neutral browns with a lovely clear blue for the accent colour.
It took a fair bit of yarn and a good chunk of my August knitting time, but since it's garter stitch, it went pretty fast. The colour changes and short rows helped to keep it interesting enough, too, that it seemed to go fairly quickly, even if it took a few weeks.
The pattern specified a particular type of bind-off, to allow lots of stretch for blocking, but I found that the bind-off was a bit too stretchy, since when I blocked it (and I stretched it out beyond the recommended dimensions) the edges still ended up a bit ruffly. Next time, I'd use a regular bind-off, probably. Yes, there will probably be a next time, since this one is intended to be a gift, and I would really love to make myself one in a different colour scheme. Lord knows I have plenty of sock yarn to make up something pretty for myself.
Overall, I really like the wrap - it's nice and big, and the garter stitch is so squishy and comfy. I think it will be really perfect for cozying up in for a night of reading in the dark of winter.
Living life somewhere in the grey area between Liz Lemon and Nancy Botwin. I live with my beloved Heterosexual Life Mate (HLM), no kids, two beautiful feline ladies, and what I can only assume are self-replenishing stacks of fabric and yarn.
rstovin on ravelry