I finished weaving the green towels a while ago, and now they are all folded up, sitting and waiting for me to hem and wash them. In the meantime, I thought I might as well share a few more photos that will show each of them in progress, on the loom.
I wanted to change things up with the second towel, so I did this variation in an X patterning. I like the way the Xs make a lattice to connect the pattern into a more unified design than the little unconnected Os. If you refer back to my earlier post, you might be able to see the difference in the overall lattice.
For the third towel, I went back to the Os (even without the lattice that connects the design I prefer their roundness to the thornier Xs) but with yet another variation on the design. This one made lots of little squares and some cool equal-armed crosses. I really liked the way this one looked, as I was weaving it, and I was almost sorry to come to the end of it. I think the negative space is interesting, and I look forward to seeing the reverse side, too.
With the fourth towel I finally did some dukagang. For some reason I always think I won't weave this structure for the sets I make (probably because it is so different from the others and I worry that it will stand out too much) but then I change my mind and do it. It always ends up my favourite, in the end. It has a very different look than the others, with a more vertical direction to the whole design, but I felt like it really worked with the sort of medallion shape that this tie-up variation has in it.
Having finished those four, I pulled out the purple pattern weft and started one for myself. I used the same tie-up variation that I used for the dukagang, but this time using the Os. I'm not sure I love the purple as much as I thought I would - the green background gets a bit muddied by using this colour for a pattern weft. It might actually have been better in dukagang, as well, since the colours would be more isolated. Live and learn.
One of these days I will get around to washing and ironing them and then you can see what a difference finishing makes!
W is for Winter and Wool
21 hours ago